Hummus … a vegan’s best friend!
This hummus recipe is easy, so creamy, and delicious! While you can buy hummus at any grocery store, nothing beats the taste of homemade hummus!
How to Make Creamy Hummus
The secret to a creamy hummus? Overcook the chickpeas with a bit of baking powder. The baking powder helps break down the chickpea skin which means you don’t have to tediously remove each skin — making this recipe fast and easy!
This recipe is for plain hummus. I like to keep my hummus plain and add toppings as needed. This way you can use the hummus for anything you want.
Hummus topping ideas:
- Roasted red peppers
- Diced olives & garlic
- Chopped spinach & artichokes
- Greek seasoned chickpeas
- Smoked paprika
Oil-free Hummus Recipe
Looking for an oil-free hummus recipe? Simply omit the oil in this recipe and substitute it with additional water. It’s just as delicious without the oil and my favorite way to eat hummus.
Eat with hummus with veggies, pita bread, in a wrap, as a dip for falafel, or with a spoon!
Creamy Hummus Recipe
- 1 can chickpeas, drained & rinsed or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil or water to make WFPB
- 2 tbsp cold water more for thinning
- In a medium saucepan, add chickpeas, baking soda, and enough water to cover the chickpeas by a few inches. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat and continue boiling for 15 minutes or until chickpeas become very soft. Drain the chickpeas and rinse with cold water.
- Transfer the chickpeas to the food processor along with the rest of the ingredients except oil (if using) and the 2 tablespoons of cold water. Start to process.
- As the hummus is processing, drizzle in the cold water and olive oil or additional water if not using oil. Continue to process until creamy adding more water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency.
- Chill in the refrigerator. Hummus will last about a week in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.