Hamburger Cabbage Casserole with Cream of Mushroom Soup — You won’t miss the dairy!
Looking for something to do with all of your garden cabbage? Growing up one of my family’s favorite meals was hamburger cabbage casserole with cream of mushroom soup. It was in regular meal rotation. Once I became vegan I thought I’d never had it again. Boy was I wrong!
My mom dropped off a big head of cabbage from her garden last week. While deciding what to make with it, I started craving this casserole! I’m not sure what took me so long to veganize it, but I finally did and now it will be in regular rotation in my house. I made a couple of different versions to see which I liked best. The first one used the cream of mushroom base from my green bean casserole, the other used a revised version of my creamy cauliflower mushroom soup as the base. They were both great, but the 2nd version one.
What I like best about the second version using my Creamy Cauliflower Mushroom Soup (I only added cashew cream to part of it) is that it’s healthier, it contains more veggies, and it’s gluten-free! Plus, the cauliflower adds just a little something delicious to the mix! But honestly, give me either version and I’ll scarf it down!
I used Impossible “Ground Beef” to replace the hamburger or you could use Gardein Crumbles and just throw them into the soup without cooking when you add the cabbage. I use my modified Cauliflower Mushroom Soup to replace the Canned Cream of Mushroom Soup.
While there are many types of hamburger cabbage casserole out there, but this is by far my favorite. And if you’re looking for a cabbage casserole with no tomatoes, you’re going to love this!
If you want a healthy cabbage casserole recipe, simply leave out the veggie burger for a whole foods plant-based meal!
Hamburger Cabbage Casserole
- 1/2 medium head of cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 pound Impossible ground
- 1/4 tsp salt
Cauliflower Mushroom Soup
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 cup Vidalia onion, minced
- 1/2 head cauliflower florets, chopped
- 1 8 ounce package mushrooms, minced
- 4 cups mushroom broth
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp cashew cream (optional)
Cashew Cream (Optional)
- 3/4 cup cashews soaked overnight & drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 2 jalapeno coins
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3-4 shakes ground black pepper
Make Hamburger Cabbage Casserole
- In a large saucepan, add 1/4 cup of water along with the garlic and onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the cauliflower, mushrooms, mushroom broth, and black pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and simmer until cauliflower is soft.Meanwhile, in a large skillet, chop up and cook Impossible ground until browned and cooked through. Once the cauliflower in the soup is soft, let it cool a bit then pour 1/2 of it into a blender and blend until mostly smooth. Transfer back to the saucepan or to a crockpot with the remaining soup.Add Cashew Cream if using, Impossible grounds, and chopped cabbage to soup.Cover and cook on medium heat for about an hour or until the cabbage is tender.
Make Cashew Cream
- Place all ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.